Tasman Bay is a haven for craftsman including artists, sculptors, wood turners and potters who are keen to show their work in their studios and art galleries which abound the area, including 7 in Tasman village .
The wonderful climate of Nelson and Tasman means that wine tasting of world class wines at the many local vineyards is an ideal way to spend a few hours of a day. Wine tastings can be arranged at any of our local excellent wineries; there are 3 on Kina Peninsula! Our local Tasman Store in the village has a great selection of local regional wines at very good prices including the award winning Blackenbrook wines and other local wines including Kina Beach, Kina Cliffs, Sea Level, Mahana. We are surrounded by excellent boutique wineries.
Golf is a popular activity and many guests enjoy the 9-hole experience at the stunning Kina Cliffs Golf Club just a few minutes drive.
The new internationally acclaimed Great Taste Trail offering cyclists many kilometres of cycling from Nelson to Kaiteriteri with many opportunities of hiring bikes from Nelson cycling companies or Wheelie Fantastic, located locally in Mapua.
Within walking distance or a 5-minute drive
- The regions's best coffee and muffins at The Grind at Tasman Store - walk for the exercise or a few minutes drive from Almyra
- lunch at New Zealand's award winning Jester House Café or 10 minutes drive to one of the excellent award winning Mapua cafes.
- Golf at Tasman Golf Club with its magical sea views.
- Safe swimming beaches, stroll to Kina Beach and enjoy amazing views over the ocean to Nelson and beyond.
- Wine tasting and vineyard visits - why not enjoy a wine tasting at Kina Cliffs Vineyard or Kina Beach Vineyard.
- Walking - stroll along the beach - you can walk for miles.
- Biking - cycle into Motueka and enjoy the coastal cycle path or be more adventurous on the Great Taste Trail.
- Artists' studios and galleries - we are surrounded by Arts and Crafts studios and Ron can show you his own pastel works here at Almyra.
- Boating & kayaking.
- Fishing and bird watching.
- Boat ramp.
Local shop selling fresh home made cakes, bread, milk, eggs and award winning coffee
Within 10 minutes' drive
The township of Motueka with:
- Shops &, restaurants, cafés, cinemas and museum.
- 18-hole golf course and mini golf
- Kayaking, jet boating, fishing
- Skydiving, gliding, microlight flying, aerial acrobatics
- Horse trekking
- 4 x 4 Motorbike adventures
- Roadside fruit stalls where you can buy locally grown fruit & vegetables
Motueka Sunday Market for produce and arts and crafts
Within 30-40 minutes' drive
- Kaiteriteri with its golden sandy beaches and voted one of the worlds Top Ten best beaches; water sports and water taxi service to Abel Tasman National Park.
- Marahau - gateway to the Abel Tasman National Park - from where you can tart to walk in to the Abel Tasman National Park or catch a water taxi to one of the beautiful sandy beaches or Awaroa inlet.
- Rabbit Island - where you can walk for miles along soft sandy beaches. Why not take the ferry from Mapua to Rabbit Island and enjoy walking for miles along the beach or through the forest paths.
- Nelson City with its many attractions, including Nelson Cathedral and the World of Wearable Arts Museum. Wander around South Street with its art & pottery studios or just soak up the cafe culture in Trafalgar Street and watch the world go by.
- Nelson Market on a Saturday morning is a MUST for Market lovers - local produce, cheeses, crafts
- Nelson Airport is an easy 40 minute drive from Almyra Waterfront Lodge, with direct domestic flights to our major cities.
- Play golf at one of 5 golf courses in the area.
- Visit Ngarua Caves on Takaka Hill or the pure fresh water of the Resurgence.
- Enjoy a wine tour in Nelson or a combined Nelson cycling and wine tour. We recommend Velo Vino.
Within 1-2 hours' drive:
- Explore the dramatic landscape of the mountains of Kahurangi National Park or the Rainbow Ski fields and lakes of Nelson Lakes National Park.
- Visit Golden Bay with its beautiful sandy beaches and the famous fresh water springs at Te Waikoropupu (Pupu) Springs or catch some fresh salmon for your dinner at Anatoki Salmon Farm.
- Visit Farewell Spit & Puponga Farm Park and take a Farewell Spit Eco tour or Cape Farewell Horse Trek or a guided nature tour. For the more adventurous take a Remote Adventure Scenic Flight to view the Heaphy Track and Lord of the Rings Sites.
- Wharariki Beach on the Whareriki Beach on the West coast with its amazing windswept sand dunes.
- Enjoy coffee or lunch at the Naked Possum cafe with its outdoor fire & eco tannery & possum shop, at the entrance to the Kaituna Walking Track.
"I can't believe Nelsonians get to wake up in this amazing paradise every morning" Sir Ian McKellen (Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings)