Almyra luxury bed and breakfast believes in responsible tourism and in protecting New Zealand's precious environment.
Our luxury accommodation is architecturally designed, built and equipped using Nelson and Tasman companies wherever possible. It is designed for solar gain to make the most of Nelson's very sunny climate.
Our landscaped garden was designed by a local company and local skills are used to help us manage our 3.5 acre property whenever possible.
Our luxury accommodation at Kina is fitted with double glazing to keep your accommodation cool in the summer and warm in the winter. The high levels of floor and wall and ceiling insulation conserve heat.
Rainwater is collected for use within the property and bore water & recycled waste water are used for garden irrigation. All our toilets have short and longer dual flushes to conserve water. Our under floor heating system is provided by an efficient water heating external heat pump.
We network with local businesses for activities e.g. trekking in the Abel Tasman and Kahurangi national parks, cruises and water taxis along the Abel Tasman coastline, ferry, site seeing flights, helicopter rides, sea kayaking, New Zealand fur seal swims, horse riding, fishing, wine tasting, golf and restaurants....
It is our philosophy to try our best to do our bit for the environment by:
- The use of chemical free ENJO cleaning fibres & cloths throughout our property. ENJO cleaning fibres can help reduce asthma and allergy triggers and minimise reactions to skin irritations.
- Recycling of as much packaging, cardboard, paper, tin, plastic and glass as possible.
- Composting whenever possible which can be used on our accommodation's gardens.
- Use of a bio-digesting sewerage treatment plant on our property.
- Solar heating for hot water and heating our lovely swimming pool. LPG supplements the system in winter and provides failsafe backup year round to ensure our guests' comfort.
- Installing low energy LED light bulbs wherever possible & encouraging energy efficient use of resources.
- The use of bio-degradable washing powder in the laundry to maximise the efficiency of our bio-cycle sewerage treatment plant.
- We do encourage guests to use the washing line rather than using the clothes drier - sun dried items are wonderful. We line-dry towels, linen etc whenever possible to reduce energy demand.
- Only replacing towels every other day or as required; if they can be used again please hang them back on the towel rail.
- We only purchase electrical items that have the highest energy star rating.
- Buying environmental friendly products wherever possible.
Our luxury accommodation at Almyra supports responsible tourism and in protecting New Zealand's precious environment.